Saturday 29 October 2011

Getting acquainted with Korean Ice Cream

I should really visit Korean groceries more. Last night, C took me to a Korean grocery near his house where I discovered two kinds of yummy Korean ice cream. Never mind the fact that we couldn't understand what was written on the packaging. The image on the wrapper was enough for us to make a good guess of what to expect inside :)

Red Bean + Vanilla Ice Cream + Mochi Sandwich
This first one is basically an ice cream sandwich, with a layer of red bean and mochi inside. The outer covering was a thin, crispy-soft layer of bread that reminded me of the taste of the host we receive during communion. After trying the red bean flavor of Mochiko, I instantly became a fan of anything red bean. This combination of the sweetness of the red bean, the chewiness of the mochi, and the sweet, creamy coldness of the ice cream was just perfect.


What you'll see once you bite into it
My second discovery was mochi-covered ice cream, again reminding me of Mochiko. I think the outer mochi layer was green tea flavored, and it complemented well the sweet vanilla and almond ice cream inside. I loved the added texture from the almond bits. I also enjoyed chewing on the mochi, which had a slightly gummy consistency.

Green Tea Mochi with Vanilla and Almond Ice Cream
Yes, there are two pieces inside!

Creamy vanilla and almond ice cream inside
I'm pretty sure if I spend ten more minutes inside a Korean grocery, I'll be able to find plenty of other delicious discoveries. And when I do, I'll make sure to share them with you :)

In the meantime, enjoy your long Halloween weekend! 

And in the midst of crazy costume preparations, let's not forget the real reason for the holidays - and that's to remember and pray for our loves ones who have gone before us. May they continue to rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment