Sunday 6 November 2011

Simply Thai is simply the closest to authentic Thai cuisine

 

One of the many things that C and I have in common is that we have a special place in our hearts for anything Thai. He spent his younger years living in Thailand with his family, while I spent two years of high school in Bangkok with my family as well. And so it's no coincidence that we both absolutely love Thai cuisine. I find it rather difficult to closely replicate the authentic flavor of Thai dishes, with all its spices and distinct flavors. Thankfully, Simply Thai was able to come very close, and minus the very European looking ambience, it felt (or should I say tasted?) like C and I were both back in our second home.

Simply Thai's interiors were carried over from The Terrace, which used to be in this spot
I liked the light feel and soft light green theme of the inside
First things first. We were starving, and we needed our staple Thai dish, Pad Thai, on our table first. Simply Thai's Pad Thai was served very creatively. The noodles were wrapped inside a mesh made of egg. The other ingredients were placed on the corners of the plate, such that we had to break through the mesh and mix everything before having a taste. It added a bit more to the whole experience. The noodles were perfect and I tasted a mixture of smoky and slightly tangy flavors, with the nuts adding some texture. I think this Pad Thai is really the closest to the ones I've tried in Bangkok. I will definitely come back for this.

Pad Thai
A closer look

C wanted some hot soup, and of course Tom Yum Goong was the only choice. A lot of the kinds I've tasted are either too sour that it hurts my cheeks, or too spicy that it almost scalds my tongue. Simply Thai's Tom Yum was just the right balance. We had ours with fair servings of shrimp.

Tom Yum Goong

Next came our Beef Curry. This had a strong curry flavor, and not the creamy, less powerful curry dishes you usually find in other Thai restaurants. While I prefer my curry this way, I think most people would prefer theirs to be more on the creamy side. Like the Pad Thai, it was also served quite creatively and you'd know it's delicious just by looking at it.

Beef Curry
We complemented our curry with the Black Pepper Soft Shell Crab. The crablets were very crunchy and again, was served beautifully with even a flower on the side. This was a good balance to the strong flavor of the curry.

Black Pepper Soft Shell Crab
A few months ago, my family and I celebrated my mom's birthday in Simply Thai and I just really have to include this in this post. Simply Thai offers Dungeness Crab, which is a huge crab flown from Thailand served in their delicious garlic butter sauce. It was enough for the seven of us to share. So if ever you're dining here in a big group, I highly suggest ordering this. Let the photos speak for themselves.

Dungeness Crab


The creativity in this restaurant never stops. Their takeout bags are made from the paper they use as placemats. :)


It's been almost 7 years since I last visited Thailand, and I really do miss its busy streets and wonderful, friendly people. But it's a comfort to know that without leaving Manila, I can be a little nostalgic and relive my authentic experience of this delicious cuisine in restaurants like Simply Thai.

THE GOURMANDE'S SCORE: 5 out 5

2 comments:

  1. My mouth is watering already! I want to taste that Pad Thai and crab! So where do I find Simply Thai?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply Thai is located in Greenbelt 5, same side as Mesa and Max Brenner. It's close to the side of Qoola :)

    ReplyDelete