Sunday 20 November 2011

Mona Lisa's Panizza and Four Cheese Ravioli will surely make you smile

Since I have lived in the North all my life, I am not at all familiar with the hidden food gems of the South. Just recently, a couple of office mates of mine who hail from the South recommended an Italian restaurant called Mona Lisa Ristorante that President Noynoy himself frequents for lunch with his family. 

Apparently, Mona Lisa serves really great Panizzas, even better than the ones found in the ever so famous C! Italian restaurant in Pampanga. Of course, C and I wouldn't let ourselves be left behind. And so we headed down South to discover what Mona Lisa has to offer.


You wouldn't mistake Mona Lisa for any restaurant other than Italian because of its interiors beautifully inspired by Renaissance Italy. The ceiling featured lovely paintings that give you a taste of Renaissance art. I also loved the booths located around the perimeter of the restaurant, which offered a more private dining experience. Even the servers wore neckties with Mona Lisa's face as design on the fabric :)

I wish I could have these in my room

C and I were seated in one of those booths
The view was exquisite from where we were seated.



While waiting for our order, we were served some crostini with pesto, butter and pasta as dip -- compliments of the house of course. As shallow as it may sound, I love it when restaurants serve complimentary bread :)

Free bread!
C and I decided to share a panizza and a pasta. Their panizzas come in big servings good for about three to four persons. I appreciated the fact that our server offered to give us half of the panizza we wanted (5 big strips), at half the price! We went for none other than the Mona Lisa Special. I think the trick to making a really good panizza is to not overdo the toppings to make way for the distinct taste of the arugula and alfalfa. The Mona Lisa Special was simply topped with tomato sauce, cheese, some shrimp, laid on a thin, crispy crust. I added in some fresh arugula leaves, alfalfa sprouts, chili oil and chili flakes -- and I almost melted because of the delicious flavors I could taste in my mouth.

Was it better than C! Italian? They're both excellent and so it's hard to compare, really. So I'd say they're on the same level.
Half serving of the Mona Lisa Special (P 355)
With arugula leaves and alfalfa sprouts

C's choice for our pasta was the Ravioli Formaggi. This was the first time I got to try ravioli in red sauce and I have to say, it's fast becoming a favorite of mine. This dish had a generous amount of creamy garlic tomato sauce, which was just slightly sour to add a subtle kick. Each ravioli piece was filled with a delicious mixture of four cheeses in the center, and it kept tasting better with every bite.

Ravioli Formaggi (P 475)
To cap off an enjoyable meal, C and I made friends with this very cute and adorable little boy named Jacob, who reminded me of my lovely little nephew because of his hair. Jacob hung around our table for a while as he posed enthusiastically for the camera.

Jacob, such an adorable little boy :)

He insisted on this pose :)
When C and I were done, we said a quick goodbye to Jacob and gave him a soft pat on the head. He followed us to the door, as if sending us off, and before we could completely step out of the restaurant, he shouted out excitedly, "Come back soon, okay?"
C and I had such a wonderful time in Mona Lisa, and we will definitely be back soon :)

THE GOURMANDE'S SCORE: 5 out of 5 - Delicious Italian food that will surely make you smile

Mona Lisa is located at the 2nd Floor of The Commerce Center, Commerce Avenue, Alabang. For reservations, call 556-0708

3 comments:

  1. Where is Mona Lisa, GG? :)

    - Minay hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Minay, it's in Alabang! Second floor, The Commerce Center. The complete address is at the bottom of the post :)The number's there too!

    ReplyDelete