Tuesday 4 October 2011

Regis Center is Katipunan's Newest Place to Be


I have to say, Katipunan Avenue continues to surprise me with each passing day. Like I mentioned in a previous post, it’s been quite a while since I last visited the street where my alma matter resides. I’m no longer up to date with the new places that have opened up, and the old ones that have unfortunately closed down.

Not too long ago, a new two-storey building sprung up right across KFC, and is budding to be the next best hang out place for Katipunan-raised high school and college students alike. Regis Center is what it’s called. And I hate the fact that it decided to open up 2 years too late. ENVIOUS doesn’t even come close.

At the ground floor of Regis Center, you’ll find the Katipunan branch of Fullybooked (finally, a bookstore with a more reader-friendly ambience) and Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf (a nice break from the 3 Starbucks branches along Katipunan), among others.

Go up the escalator (yes, there’s an escalator. Sosyal.) and you’ll reach a line of restaurants that breaks the monotony of the available dining places along the old Katipunan.

My high school girlfriends and I were set to eat at Bon Chon. I got there early so I made a quick stop at Peanut Butter Company to take out one of their pastas. The first time I tried PB Co. I only got to taste their roast beef sandwich (with peanut butter of course). It was great, but this time I wanted to see if peanut butter and pasta can actually go together.


The classic spaghetti reminded me of the peanut buttery-taste that I love about Kare Kare, while still keeping to the identity of Bolognese pasta. It was so flavorful and creamy that I didn’t mind the absence of meat or any other toppings.

Classic Spaghetti - P125
 
Once I got my take out, I headed to Bon Chon. It was PACKED. The line starts once you enter the door. You’d have to wait a while to be seated, but the good news is that the waiters were nice enough to actually help you look for a table. The line moves pretty quickly, too. We went there on a Saturday, and so I couldn't really tell if it would be more full on weekdays when there are classes.


 
Anyway, my first encounter with Bon Chon was not so spectacular. I expected a lot from their chicken given the amount of publicity they’ve been getting. But I thought, okay, I’ll give it another shot. C and I had separate orders of wings of drumsticks because we were just that hungry. Even though the wings were a bit small, I thought the flavor of the spicy wings were better this time around. Although the sauce didn’t manage to seep through the chicken skin and into the meat. Once I got to the inside, the flavor was gone. Thankfully, the size of the drumsticks was much more generous than the wings.

Chicken Wings (3pcs) - P185
Drumsticks (6 pcs.) - P365
 
The calamares was rather tempting, and so I gave it a shot as well. In fairness to the calamares, it was pretty decent for a restaurant specializing in chicken. The breading was crunchy and the squid was pretty big. I was quite happy with this one.

Calamares - P125
While my girlfriends and I were exchanging stories, I noticed how this branch’s interiors were customized for the majority of its customers. I spotted the oblation statue and that mighty blue eagle on the wall behind us.




After our hearty dinner, we continued our restaurant hopping. And since we were feeling in the mood for some milk tea, our next stop was Saint's Alp Teahouse. It was my first time to see experience Saint’s Alp, which was 2 doors away from Bon Chon. Their milk tea choices were slightly more adventurous than the usual, and my pick was the Black Sesame Milk Tea. I had it with just 50% sugar, and so I could really taste the sesame seeds. It was almost like drinking buchi. I liked the fact that the sesame added texture to the drink, but I don’t think the majority would feel the same way.
 

Black Sesame Milk Tea

For those who like the taste of ube in tea, they have Taro Milk Tea. I found this a bit too sweet for my taste, but I think ube-lovers would like it.

Taro Milk Tea
 
They also offer other non-tea drinks like Chocolate Shake, for those who would rather be on the safe side. It can double as dessert, too.

Chocolate Milk Shake
  
We also got to try one of their food items – the shrimp balls – which I really liked! It was soft and a bit sweet. I think it’s a match for the famous Katipunan fish balls :)

Shrimp Balls

The food choices at Regis Center offer the kind of variety that any student would look for after maybe a year or so of exhausting the restaurant selection along Katipunan.

Sigh. It really is a shame that we can no longer enjoy these perks as students. Oh how time flies, indeed.

But, the great thing about it is that whenever my barkada and I are together, it feels like nothing has changed. We’re still the same little girls chit-chatting non-stop about everything and anything. We’re still the same girls whose colorful past paved the way for an even more colorful present. And we’re still the same girls who swore that no matter what happens, no matter where life takes us, we will always find our way back to this precious, comforting circle of the bestest friends one can ever have.


Regis Center is located on Katipunan cor. F.B. Dela Rosa Sts. (beside KFC, across Ateneo Gate 3). Parking is not a problem because the building has a basement parking area.

1 comment:

  1. Didn’t notice the new design until now. Kewl! Love the colors!

    I was also disappointed with my Bon Chon experience here (parang it tasted better in NY pero baka naman nadala lang ako ng ambiance!).

    Wow, Katipunan has changed so much especially compared to MY time. I still remember the original KFC with the red, brick-looking roof and the outsides that smelled of KFC Original Recipe. Aaccckkk! Am so old!

    ReplyDelete