Sunday 9 October 2011

Mochi Mochi!

Dessert world has just been shaken. Well, at least my dessert world. If you think about it, putting mochi and ice cream together doesn't really seem too far fetched. I mean, mochi is already a popular topping on yogurt and it was my love for yogurt that actually got me acquainted with the goodness of mochi. Ice cream has obviously always been a dessert staple. 

And so the innovation of Mochiko's mochi-covered ice cream was such a brilliant, natural combination that any dessert lover has to try.

Mochiko - P40 each

One delicious scoop of ice cream from FIC plus a soft, chewy layer of mochi surrounding it are the two ingredients that make Mochiko so addicting. I like the fact that the dessert experience begins with a short wait. When you buy your mochi ice cream, the packaging would remind you that "Good things come to those who wait. Please wait a few minutes or when the mochi is soft to the touch before biting into it." Beyond the taste, it also teaches us an important life lesson. :)

I was too excited to give it a taste that every 5 seconds I would give the mochi a little pinch to see if it was soft enough. And once I knew it was ready, I bit into the chewy layer of mochi and I was instantly in mochi heaven. The mochi layer felt like palitaw, and it wasn't too sweet to overpower the flavor of the ice cream.



I got to try two of their bestselling flavors - Azuki, with red bean ice cream, and Black Sesame. Both ice cream flavors were good, but I liked Azuki better. It was just the right amount of sweetness with real bits of red beans to give it extra texture. 


Azuki
Whether as a nice dessert to cap off any meal, or even as a quick snack, Mochiko is perfect for anyone who loves a sweet treat. I won't be surprised if in a few months, new brands of mochi ice cream would spring up all over the city. A little bit of healthy competition wouldn't hurt. I'm excited to see what other mochi innovations Filipinos can make happen.

Mochiko is located in Eastwood Mall, right in front of Italianni's restaurant


THE GOURMANDE'S SCORE: 5 out of 5 - A sweet, innovative treat for dessert lovers

4 comments:

  1. Will surely try this next time I'm in Eastwood Mall! :) Love the life lesson though. Just posted about not being taught to wait for things anymore these days. Warning: shameless plug... http://downinthedots.blogspot.com/2011/10/i-worry.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's also Dezato if you can't find Mochiko. :) But I prefer Mochiko's selection of ice cream and the texture of the mochi :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every weekend Mochiko is at Mercato Centrale and in tagaytay at The cliffhouse.

    ReplyDelete