Tuesday 30 August 2011

Breakfast at Kenny's

Yes, you read it right.

I was pleasantly surprised myself when I discovered that Kenny Rogers Roasters is now offering a breakfast menu. Maybe I just haven't been along Katipunan Road for way too long to notice that along with the physical renovation of the old Kenny Rogers and Seattle's Best came a revamped menu that would cater to early morning joggers and students that were up and about as early as 6:30am. (I'd later on find out that they've had this on their menu for over a year now. Has it really been that long?)

My lovely kabarkadas and I enjoying our breakfast
When my friend Ziggy texted us for a last minute breakfast reunion before her flight back to Singapore, I instantly thought, "Wow, we must be getting old". What used to be night-outs and parties that would last up to the wee hours of the morning have now become relaxed and mature conversations exchanged over a plate of Kenny's Big Breakfast #2 consisting of grilled Schublig, scrambled eggs, crisp and almost toasted slices of bacon, and two pieces of pancakes with a roll of butter and some maple syrup. It comes with a cup of Seattle's Best classic brewed coffee, too.

Kenny's Big Breakfast #2 (P170)
Why is it labeled #2, you might ask? Well, #1 consists of three mini-franks instead of one Schublig. That's pretty much what makes the difference. Although I think this set gives the best value. They cooked the Schublig just right, slightly crispy on the outside but soft on the inside. The scrambled eggs were nice and fluffy, just the way I like it. Although it could have used a bit more salt. The pancakes were as expected. I hope they can offer strawberry jam to go with the syrup and butter. They scrimped on the bacon a little (just 2 pieces, although they were crispy and not too salty), but the entire meal took more than enough space in my tummy so I really couldn't complain.

In fact, #2 was so promising that three out of four of us just had to order the same thing. It was only Ziggy who opted for a more modest, a little healthier plate made up of a generous serving of ham & cheese omelet, two slices of toasted wheat bread, and some sliced fruits. It also comes with Seattle's Best Coffee (or iced tea for those who are not coffee drinkers).

Ham & Cheese Omelet (P 135)
Other items on their breakfast menu include the Quarter Chicken Plate (P135), Baked Bangus Plate (P150), Beef Strips Plate (P150), Corned Beef Plate (P135), Pancakes and Bacon (P120) and Corned Beef and Cheese Omelet (P135).

In the course of our chismisan-filled meal, a wave of nostalgia hit me as I suddenly remembered the four years that I spent as a college student. The old Kenny Rogers and Seattle's Best restaurants used to be THE place for me and blockmates to spend hours studying for long tests, solving Math problems or sometimes discussing mind-boggling topics in Philosophy. But most of the time it was really Math. 

Now, more than six years down the road, it has become more than that. It has changed into a rather pleasant dining experience for early bird students, yuppies, couples old and young, and even sports enthusiasts and health buffs who love breathing the early morning air.

Most especially, on the morning of August 30th, it became a venue for old girlfriends who have not seen each other for almost a year now to come together, catch up, laugh, talk about boys, and laugh some more, just like our good old high school days.

THE GOURMANDE'S SCORE: 4 out of 5 

4 comments:

  1. You kinda made me cry there! hahaha!:) looooove kenny rogers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I rediscovered how much I enjoyed eating here :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Started the day at 6am with 3 of the best people in my life.:) love you Roz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To more breakfast dates, ZiggyWiggy! :) love you!

    ReplyDelete