Saturday 27 August 2011

Back to school in Miss B's Tuckshop

"Good morning class! Please take out one-fourth sheet of paper. We will have a pop quiz."

Miss B's Tuckshop reminded me of my good old grade school days when pop quizzes and recitations seemed to be the biggest life problems I would ever encounter.



The restaurant's interiors were creatively inspired by a classic classroom environment, with the menu written on a blackboard using different colors of chalk. The seats and tables were made out of wood. The concrete walls were unpainted and the floors not tiled, which added a little something extra to the ambience.




Our meal consisted of the Burger Trio + Lechon Salad + Red Velvet Milk Shake (sadly, I forgot to take a photo of this!) + Manila Cheescake deal for 2 that I got from Deal Grocer, which I bagged for P900! Not bad for a satisfying dinner for two!


We started off with the Lechon Salad. I am usually picky with the salads I eat because I am not really a vegetable lover so unless the veggies are dressed well, I more often than not ignore this course altogether. But the strips of lechon, fresh veggies coleslaw style, onions and sweet, tangy dressing of this salad made it an instant hit! And the serving was generous enough to temper the rumbling in our stomachs (we were very, very hungry when we arrived).

Lechon Salad

We were very excited about the Burger Trio because C and I absolutely LOVE burgers.We chose the top 3 best selling burgers -- Beef Burger, Buffalo Burger, and Pulled Pork Burger. Each burger was good for 1 person, but was split in half for the two of us.

The Beef Burger had the minimum requirements for a burger - the patty, the bun, and the dressing. It could have been better with a few pieces of fresh lettuce, tomatoes and maybe some pickles.
Beef Burger
I personally liked the Pulled Pork burger. For one, it had more than just the patty and the bun. The sauce was a little spicy, too, which I absolutely loved.

Pulled Pork Burger


The Buffalo Burger was C's favorite. I was expecting this one to be the spicy one but surprisingly, it wasn't. The sauce was interesting, though, and the serving of the chicken was very generous. We thought we'd need another order of any of the burgers but the trio was more than enough.

Buffalo Burger
We ordered 2 add-ons to our meal - Garlic Fries and Creamy Mashed Potato. I am a lover of both, but I must say that their mashed potato was probably one of the best ones I've ever tried in my life. True to its name, it had an almost pureed texture that had the consistency of thick mushroom soup. Check out the photo below!
Garlic Fries
Creamy Mashed Potato



We were so stuffed at the end of our meal that we didn't have any more space for dessert. You can imagine how full we were because this rarely happens. We ALWAYS have room for dessert. But we did take a bite of their famous Manila Cheescake. It was very cheesy and had a hint of lime. It was alright, I'm not exactly the biggest fan of lime so I may be biased. So we just had it wrapped in a nice paper bag (glad to know they're environmentally conscious), with a bonus note from Miss B herself! :)

Manila Cheesecake

All in all, it was quite a unique experience eating in this "tuckshop". For one, it's not everyday that we head to Jupiter St. searching for a new food find.

The Singaporean chef/owner came out towards the end of our meal to talk to a couple seated across our table. I would have wanted to meet him, if not for the girl who was giving him a lecture about "Fish and Chips" being fish and fries, and not your literal potato chips. It was a pain listening to that conversation and I felt sorry for the chef, really, but well, as they say, the customer is always right.

Anyway, I found it very interesting to know that Miss B is actually the name of the dog of one of the owners :) A tuckshop is the British term for a small restaurant :) Maybe one day they can have a "Meet Miss B" day when the resto is famous enough.

I think I'll visit Miss B's in the coming months to try out the other stuff on their menu. Hope they have something new in store for their customers by then!

THE GOURMANDE'S SCORE: 4 out of 5

Miss B's Tuckshop is located at # 20 Valdecon Building, Jupiter Street, Bel-Air, Makati City
(Beside Distillery)
Tel. 0929 795 9922
Open Mondays to Thursdays, 12 p.m. to 12 a.m.;Saturdays, 5 p.m. to 3 a.m.


No comments:

Post a Comment