Sunday 29 January 2012

Lukewarm feelings for Wee Nam Kee

Given the hype that this restaurant has received, and the long lines I would always see in every branch, I had rather high hopes for Wee Nam Kee. C and I decided to dismiss any negative feedback about the place and tried it for ourselves so we can once and for all prove them wrong (or right).


True enough, despite being there early, there were already people lining up to get a taste of their Singaporean dishes. I couldn't help wondering if these were regular customers or first-timers like us. I thought, if they have this many loyal customers, the food must be that good.

After getting settled and getting a chance to look around the interiors of the restaurant, I noticed the set of light bulbs uniquely placed inside what seemed to be bird cages. I thought this was a very creative twist on the traditional chandelier. (I found this very interesting that I imagined replicating it in my own house in the future :))


One look on the menu and I immediately got the impression that Wee Nam Kee's dishes offered good value for money. The price range was definitely beyond reasonable, and this is perhaps one of the reasons why people flock to this restaurant.

C and I ordered one dish each, plus some Hong Kong Style Birthday Noodles for sharing.

What I liked about the noodles was that they didn't scrimp on the ingredients. In Filipino, it was masahog. There were generous pieces of mushroom, bell pepper, shrimp, onions, carrots, etc. It had a well-balanced seasoning -- not too salty and not bland either. It was good for 2 to 3 persons, so I think it was definitely good value for money.

HK Style Birthday Noodles (P 255)
I was pretty excited about the Hainanese Chicken (I ordered the Steamed Chicken Rice) because this was the dish that Wee Nam Kee was really known for. The chicken arrived at our table a bit too cold. Now, ultimately, I think what really completes this dish are the sauces and seasoning. And perhaps the reason why it's difficult to find outstanding Hainanese Chicken is the fact that the sauces taste practically the same. I mean, how many other different ways can hoisin sauce, chili sauce and ginger really taste, right? I guess that's the challenge for restaurants now -- how do you make YOUR version of Hainanese Chicken really stand out?

So anyway, the Hainanese Chicken was good, but it wasn't exceptional. And I guess I was expecting it to be so because the restaurant is called "Wee Nam Kee - Hainanese Chicken Rice" after all.

Steamed Chicken Rice (P 168 - personal set)
C thought the Wee Nam Kee Pork Chop Rice sounded very promising, and so he decided to have that as his order. However, when it arrived, it looked a lot less appetizing than how it sounded. It was just plain breaded pork with sweet and sour sauce poured over it. And as C put it, it looked and tasted like cafeteria food. Needless to say, we were quite disappointed with this one.

Wee Nam Kee Pork Chop Rice (P 178)
After our meal, C and I ended up having lukewarm feelings for Wee Nam Kee. We weren't too satisfied with what we ate, although some dishes had some decent highs.

I honestly feel that Shiok (read the post on Shiok here) offers better tasting and better value dishes for those seeking a Singaporean dining experience.


THE GOURMANDE'S SCORE: 3.5 out of 5 - It was decent, but not a restaurant I would recommend

Wee Nam Kee is located in Ayala Triangle Gardens, Ayala Avenue, Makati City. Telephone number: 846-8924.

4 comments:

  1. Hello,

    We apologize if you didn't fully enjoy your meal at Wee Nam Kee. Rest assured that we will work on the Pork Chop to improve it for future visits. As for the Hainanese Chicken, we just wanted to clarify that it is really traditionally served cold or at room tempt.

    We do hope you'll still keep our restaurant in mind. Perhaps we can offer you the Roasted Chicken instead for your future visits.

    Thank you once again for your valuable review.

    Regards,
    Wee Nam Kee Ayala Triangle Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, thank you for taking time to read my post and for responding. I think that's very professional of you and I do appreciate the action points you've noted in your message. I think it's noteworthy that you're making an effort to ensure your customers are satisfied, and I do hope to have a better dining experience next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Juana Gong! You call yourself a gourmand? Haven't you been to Singapore and tasted Hainanese chicken? This dish doesn't taste good if it's served hot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am aware that Hainanese Chicken is supposed to be served at room temperature and that's why I said I felt it was TOO cold. I never said it was supposed to be hot. But thank you for your opinion.

      Delete