Friday 9 September 2011

Tasting India in Assad

Whenever I think of the next best food adventure, the top of mind cuisines would always be fail-safe Japanese, homemade Italian, comforting Chinese, or sometimes when I feel slightly adventurous--French food. But perhaps due to lack of exposure, Indian cuisine would rarely make it to my list.

Come to think of it, where in Manila can you find a place that serves authentic Indian food that would allow you to keep within your budget?

Well, lucky for me, I finally gave my palate a fresh taste of Indian food in Assad!

Note: Apologies for the resolution of the photos. I forgot to bring my camera so I had to make do with my iPhone.

Actually, the menu above is from Assad Cafe, which is the restaurant where you can dine. Apparently, the owners of Assad bought the Chinese restaurant that used to own the location, and they decided to keep the Chinese menu. And Assad Cafe today serves both Indian and Chinese food. Odd combination? Well, with what I experienced, I would say they make a good match.

Inside Assad Cafe

Now, what really caught my interest was Assad Mini Mart, located a few doors down from the restaurant. The moment I stepped in, I smelled a mix of Indian flavors, spices and fragrances all at the same time. The grocery was maybe twice the size of your regular convenience store. By looking at the long line at the counter plus the constant opening of the door, it was pretty clear to me that a lot of Indian nationals really frequent this place to get reminded of what it feels like to be back home.

I was in awe just looking at shelf after shelf of spices, colorful ingredients, and refreshments from India. I wish we had spent a little bit more time inside so I could explore more, I'm sure there were tons more I could discover. But we were in a bit of a hurry, and so C just made sure I got to taste some of their specialties.

The first one being the Samosa.

Samosa (P15 each)

At first glance, you'd think it looks like your usual empanada. But I did a little bit of research and found that Samosa is actually one of the most popular vegetarian Indian appetizers. You can also find it being sold in the streets of not just India, but the whole Indian subcontinent (info courtesy of food-india.com). 

This Samosa was stuffed with soft boiled pototoes, with a slightly spicy filling that tasted like curry. The outside complemented the inside with its crunchy texture. I first tried it without the sauce to really get a taste of the filling. It was good without the sauce, but even better with it. It was such a fresh and exciting taste in my mouth that after a few bites, I found myself wanting more. This one's got addictive potential, I must say.

Soft boiled potato and curry filling inside

Another Indian delicacy I really enjoyed was Paratha--leavened Indian flat bread that has a sweet taste that reminded me of pancakes. It's sliced thinner than the pita bread used in shawarmas. It comes with sauce as well, but it's already great to munch on on its own. According to about.com, Paratha goes well with any Indian dish. It's that good, you can eat it with anything. As for me, I am very much happy having it on its own.

Paratha (P 25)

There were other pastries available in Assad Mini Mart which I vow to try next time. But I'm quite happy with these new discoveries.

After buying our appetizers, we went back to Assad Cafe to get our soup and main course. At first glance, I wasn't so excited to try the Seafood Green Soup, because, well, it looked more like vegetable soup. But the delicious taste washed away all that false judgement. I loved the consistency of the soup, which resembled that of Bird's Nest soup, and how it was just the right kind of salty. It had pieces of shrimp and squid inside, too. The serving was very generous, too. C and I shared one order and it filled us up quite unexpectedly.

Seafood Green Soup (P 118)
Lastly, we also shared a main course, this time taking from Assad's Chinese menu. The Spicy Squid Rice definitely did not scrimp on the spicy part, with fresh chopped chili generously sprinkled over the squid. The deep fried squid was crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. The order came with sweet sauce to perhaps add more flavor. And of course, one cup of rice, which you would really need to temper the spiciness exploding in your mouth. I seldom eat rice nowadays, but I just had to break that rule this time around.

Spicy Squid Rice (P129)
To sum it all, this meal was fresh on the tongue and friendly on the wallet. Best of all, it opened my eyes to Indian cuisine, which I think really deserves more attention and praise than what it's currently getting. Oh, and did I mention that we got all of these for take out? It's perfect to bring home to your family, too!

And so if you ever find yourself in the busy streets of Manila, searching for good food that will give your taste buds a fresh perspective, then you might want to make a quick detour along U.N. Avenue and explore the flavors of India right at the heart of Manila.


Assad Mini Mart and Assad Cafe are located in 1268 - D. Midtown Executive Homes U.N. Avenue, Paco Manila. For delivery, call 521-4996 or 404-0319.

You can also find Assad Mini Mart in the following addresses:

Eurocrest Building, Jupiter Street, Bel-Air Village, Makati
Door # 5 Thaddeus Arcade Along Gil Fernando Ave., San Roque, Marikina City

1 comment:

  1. puntahan ko nga to bukas.nagugutom tuloy ako hahaha...thanks for this post antagal ko na naghahanap ng indian food,mahal kasi mga restaurant dito sa manila na nagserve ng indian food.

    ReplyDelete